FOMP Members we are passing this information from CMC along as a courtesy for those of you that may be interested.Thanks
FOMP BOD======The Rampart East project is entering a new and exciting phase, one which creates an opportunity for more support!
To briefly summarize: over the past 5 (!) years [even longer counting the earlier scouting and mapping done by the Denver Group], we have
– mapped every route within the Roadless Area
– gotten the official boundaries expanded, with part also designated as “Upper Tier Roadless”
– moved or removed some roads from the inventory, with prospects for more to be closed
– arranged for the publication of “pocket pals” maps of recommended trails
– greatly increased public awareness of the area
We have decided to advance the project in two directions.
1. The Colorado Mountain Club core of the group has decided to initiate a campaign to have a Wilderness designation cover as much of the area as possible. We will be meeting in the Community Room at the Safeway on South Wilcox in Castle Rock at 6 pm this Wednesday, November 7 to begin developing a strategy for that campaign. If you would like to help, please attend. If you cannot attend, don’t worry: this is likely to be a 10-15 year effort, and there will be plenty of future chance to help.
2. On Thursday, we will asking the Palmer Lake Town Council to give final approval for a CMC stewardship project, rerouting the lower portion of the Ice Cave Creek trail into a safe and sustainable alignment. If you live in (or have influence in) Palmer Lake, please attend the Council meeting on November 8 (worksession at 6, voting at 7) in the Town Hall. If you would be interested in volunteering to help with the trail project next year, please let me know so I can tell the Council that there is indeed interest in the project.
You have been included on this email list due to past interest expressed in the Rampart East project and our goals. Emails will be infrequent; if you would like to get OFF the mailing list, please respond to me. If you are not already a fan of our Facebook page, please visit it at Rampart East Roadless Area or
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rampart-East-Roadless-Area/172964769399699. Also learn more about the CMC and the Roadless Area on our website atwww.cmc.org/rera.
Colorado Springs co-chair
CMC Rampart East project
Rampart East Wilderness Area Project
Leave a reply