Monthly Archives: February 2019

Feb 2019 BOD Meeting Minutes

Feb 2019 Board of Directors Meeting Minutes. (click to expand)


Friends of the Monument Preserve
Board Meeting
February 12, 2019


  • Karen Jensen was elected as treasurer, and Carissa Gallardo was elected as secretary. The vote was unanimous.


  • FOMP will sell or give them away to volunteers on Trail Night.

President’s Report

  • Bill Normile met with Randy Phillips: The North trails are now closed, re-routes in the Spring.
  • The MOU was signed last April—Normile will check for any expiration date.
  • MOU provides liability coverage in case of a volunteer accident.
  • Bill Normile attended a meeting regarding shooting on Forest property. They are trying to create areas for shooting. FOMP needs a representative to attend these meetings.  John                    Nordby will attend these meetings.
  • Bill Benson has resigned as Vice President. Brian Mullin was nominated, and the election will be held in March.

Bird Houses

  • Herman Spielkamp will work with the 4H club to clean birdhouses. The Board unanimously approved $250 for materials.

Treasurer Report

  • Jensen will be given the records as soon as Bill Normile recovers them from the past treasurer.


  • January 7, 2019 minutes approved as submitted.

Trail Report

  • We need to identify trail focus for summer.
  • A calendar needs to be available by March.
  • Jon Nordby will meet after the Board meeting for trail work planning.
  • We also need some Saturdays planned (2-4 Saturdays)

Update next month

  • Trail names.
  • Trail markers.
  • Do we want to put a QR code for Trailforks?
  • Dog waste.
  • FOMP policy is no leashes on dogs.
  • President recommends that Steve Pate talks with Carissa regarding the Friends of Palmer Lake interface.


  • Brian Mullin
  • Bill Normile
  • Jon Nordby
  • Jeff Light
  • Art Fuellenbach
  • Karen Jensen
  • Marianne LaRivee
    • Lynda Pate
    • Steve Pate
    • Larry Post (CMC)
    • Wendy Anderson
    • Hermann Spielkamp
    • Nancy Spielkamp

Announcing Pikes Peak Regional Crew Leader Training 2019

Pikes Peak Regional Crew Leader Training

Friday – Sunday, April 26th – 28th
Starsmore Discovery Center
2120 S Cheyenne Cañon Rd

Take your volunteering to the next level with Crew Leader Training! The training will kick off with a weekend-long course that empowers local trail volunteers with the skills to help lead safe and effective trail and restoration projects. The Trails and Open Space Coalition is proud to continue to partner with RMFI and others to offer the 8th Annual Pikes Peak Regional Crew Leader Training. Applicants MUST be able to attend the full 2.5-day weekend training course and commit to completing 2 certification workdays under the supervision of Rocky Mountain Field Institute or Friends of the Peak within the 2019 field season.

Cost: There is a non-refundable $25 application fee to help cover the costs of materials for the weekend. 

More information and application available at

Please email us at if you’re interested in representing at this training.

February 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

February 2019 Board of Directors Meeting

FOMP is pleased to announce our February 2019 Board Meeting

Meeting Time:
Tuesday, February 12th at 7:00 PM

Meeting location

Trinity Lutheran Church, 17750 Knollwood Monument refer to –  behind the Kum and Go, park in the east parking lot and enter through the east doors (by playground). Take the first right and walk north through the double doors to the first classroom on the right.

Board Member Updates

  • President and VP update.
  • Secretary update.
  • Treasure update.
  • Bylaws need to be updated – Our meeting place is not at the fire center and so on, someone could take a look and draft amendments we could adopt at the annual meeting in March.


  • Moving forward and focus areas.
  • Trail naming project, Trailforks, etc. Update on where we are at.
  • Trail Skills class day.  Tentatively April 20th or 27th.  1/2 day 9 – 12 at the parking lot.
  • Put trail work days on the calendar and then begin to match up projects to dates.  We can publicize the dates in advance so folks can plan.


  • Update from USFS Pikes Peak Ranger Oscar Martinez.
  • Southern shooting sports partnership.
  • The dog issue continues to circulate. Perhaps we form a sub-committee and let then run with a solution.
  • Need to plan for the upcoming year and get this out to the public. Possibly the local paper.


Thanks, and we hope to see you there!